Test year: 2017
ADAC overall rating:
- Birth – 18 months | birth – 13 kg (birth – 28.6 lbs)
- rearward facing
- lightweight (4.8 kg)
- The information provided here shows the result of the safety seat with the Aton Base 2 installation.
- perfect for premature babies and very small newborns
- Aton Base 2: the result here represents this version
- isofix: Aton Base 2-fix
- seat belt
Cheapest Place to Buy:
ADAC result in details:
- front and side impact crash with very low risk
- belting is good
- stable connection to the vehicle
- only buckle up the child
- easy installation
- operating instructions and warnings are easy to follow
- leg rest is good
- good upholstery
- convenient seating position
- low space is required in the car
- child has good space
- washing machine possible
- easily removable cover
- workmanship is good
- Pollution is very low
- bit increased risk of incorrect operation
- child has impaired view to the outside
Cybex Aton 5 together with the Base 2 is probably the most unique, a very safe and lightweight safety seat that can also be used as a carrier and a travel system on several buggies and strollers (e.g. Cybex, gb) with an adapter.
The Cybex Base 2 basically looks like an insofix base in which you can install your safety seat the same simple clicking way as into a regular isofix base. However, for the Base 2, you do not need to have isofix anchorages in your car, as this base is to be fixed with the vehicle’s seat belt. I think this seat with this base is the absolute perfect solution for those, who want to have a seat with an isofix base but the car does not have anchorages. It can also be your best option if you want to have the freedom of being able to use the base in different cars – without always having to pay attention on having the anchorages. Also, a good point, that you can use the seat simply with the seat belt without any base. I think this is the most flexible seat option with or without isofix that you can find on the market.
This is the fifth generation of the Aton seats, designed and engineered in Germany. Aton 5 cannot be used on airplanes.
- A central adjuster helps to adapt the size and height of the harness and headrest to the baby. 8 different height positions are available.
- The seat includes a newborn insert for an almost lie-flat position that can be removed as the baby grows. The function is to keep the head-neck-chest line in a flat position to prevent the baby’s head from falling forward causing serious breathing problems.
- The Linear Side-impact Protection (L.S.P. System) protects the baby from a possible side impact by absorbing and channeling away the energy with its flexible material. You have to open the Linear Side-impact Protection on the side that is closer to the door. In case, you place the seat in the middle of the rear seats, you must not unfold the Linear Side-impact Protection.
- The seat inlay is soft and padded.
- The sun canopy is extra large with UPF50+ sun protection and can be adjusted into 4 different positions.
- It has a 3-point harness system.
- The shell is energy absorbing for side impact protection.
- The cover can be washed on 30°.
Additionally, you can buy the Aton Base 2-fix isofix base, footmuff, rain and summer cover, and insect net matching with the Aton 5 seat.
Cybex Aton 5 is available in several colors.
When the car seat is installed on the front passenger seat, you must switch off the front passenger airbag.
I hope you liked this review and if you have any question about the CYBEX Aton 5 with the Base 2 seat or want to leave your own personal experience, leave a comment below.